Bonus: It was EASY. All you need is time.
Since I have all the equipment necessary for the job - I dug in. The results were incredible. Chewy crumb texture. A euro-artisinal crusty exterior that "shatters" when cracked. Exactly like the breads we have enjoyed in Italy and France.
If you plan to tackle the job...
1. Definitely read the NYT tips
2. Within those tips - definitely up the salt to 1 full TABLESPOON
3. I used my Le Creuset dutch oven, the handle of which cannot withstand high heat. If you use the same - just remove the lid handle and plug the remaining hole with foil
4. I followed the rise and bake times exactly with perfect results. I have a new oven though and if yours is prone to be hotter or cooler, you may need to play with bake times.
5. The top of the fridge is a great place to park the dough while it is rising! Warm air rises and the heat from the condenser unit behind your fridge should keep things at a steady temp. Just try not to spend a lot of time opening and closing your fridge?
6. For the final rise - when you need to place the dough on a "cotton towel" - I chose to place mine on a silpat in a sheet pan because of the "ooze factor". After the last rise, the dough released nicely from my silpat right into the pot.
Let me know if you try it!


No comments:
Post a Comment